Emanuel and Friend

Emanuel and Friend

Friday, October 18, 2013

Kids at the Center

I get a lot of cool things that come across my work email  as people share info about this or that.  At People's Academy, middle school students are teaching classes afterschool, with the 'real' teachers acting as helpers/facilitators.  I remember seeing a dance class lead by a girl that was one of the most engaged, rigorous, relevant, and inspiring as any I have ever seen.  It appears, more students are teaching more. Below is a picture of a student teaching photography.  And here is a forwarded note from a student ( name changed) of an aspiring leader.  

"dear kate,
I'v been thinking about starting an unbound class. Now that I'm in 6th grade, I can. So i was thinking, with some help from friends and an adult, I could start a movie making class. You know how I made a little club? Well, I love to make movies, and with so many great places to shoot the footage all over the school grounds, I think it could work. I would like to start this class next simester. If you could find a teacher to supervise. Maybe Mr. Weiss, or Mr. Speers. Just think about it. We can talk about a day and more about this at school.

sent from Matt 
😄"


No comments:

Post a Comment